Search This Blog

Wednesday 5 April 2017

Visiting Fashion Musuem

  Hello Everybody!
  Some time ago I went to Fashion Museum of Alexandre Vassiliev Foundation in Riga. It was an amazing time. I still can't believe that this whole collection belongs to only ONE person. It was huge. The name of this exhibition was "Elegance of the 1930s". You can still see it until the 24th of April because they change the exhibition every six months. See more:  http://www.fashionmuseumriga.lv/eng/
  I think this exhibition was truly magical because I could see the "pre-war chic" and also the usual everyday clothing which still looks many times more elegant than what we wear everyday nowadays. There was also a lot of accessories for us to see and it helped to understand better the everyday life of the people who lived then. I will talk about my favourite pieces and outfits in more details.




  What you see above are my favourite jackets and a bolero (I think it's bolero). Why I love them so much is because of all the hard handwork that was put into them. Every little glitter, every little bead and the neat embroidery in general. It looks fantastic. The jacket number 3 is made by Chanel and in my opinion it still looks beautiful, modern and stylish. People used to wear this clothes to the theatre. Now it is a big rarity to see something like this on the street and in public places.


  The backs of these dresses are just perfect. Imagine how much effort and time went into sewing or knitting these laces! It's a real quality work.
 

  These two dresses were the kind of dresses people would wear everyday at home or for a lunch date, or maybe even at work. They are so colourful and each one has some interesting details like the sleeves, an interesting belt and a decollete. I would like to have this green dress. Probably it's my favourite from the whole exhibition because it's so simple, classy, beautiful and exquisite at the same time.
  Now try to guess where people would wear something like this? Right! To the beach. It's a beach costume everybody used to wear in 1930s. It's hard to imagine knowing that nowadays people usually don't wear any clothes to the beach at all except only the bikini (and even that doesn't happen always).
  In this picture my favourite part is the necklace and the headband. Again such a neat work! I'd like to know how many crystals the designer had to use to make these accessories.


<3 <3 <3
  This little notebook girls used to write down the names of partners for each dance. That's so cute. Imagine when somebody wants to dance with you but you have to check your notebook to know if there are any blank spaces. And if you don't want to dance with somebody you just lie that your dance schedule is full.
  To whom do you think this perfume in the picture belongs? It's not Chanel 5 as you may think. There is an S on the top of the bottle. This S stands for Elsa Schiaparelli, an Italian fashion designer who lived and worked at the same time as Coco Chanel did and was her biggest competitor. It's funny how even their perfumes' bottles look alike and somehow compete with each other.




  From the accessories my favourite part was the variety of different small bags which all were very original and had many tiny details on them. When I'll see something like this in the stores I'll definitely buy it. It's so elegant, original and pretty. 
  After attending this exhibition I feel like I was born in a wrong era. Of course I understand that this chic came after the First World War because people wanted to celebrate and live fully. It didn't last long because the Second War came quickly and all of it ended but it was a very beautiful era. I wish we could have at least a little bit of what they had. During the excursion I've also found out that in 1930s appeared first big makeup brands that we still know today like Maybelline and Max Factor. There is an interesting story about how the world Maybelline was invented. Actually it's Vaseline+Mabel. Mabel is the name of the Maybelline mascara inventor's sister. And Vaseline is one of the mascara's ingredient.
  Well I think you've had enough of information. :) Would you like to visit this exhibition? Do you also miss the 1930s era?
  Love,
  Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment